Unilateral Knee Replacement Knee replacement surgery is really a cartilage replacement. The knee itself is not replaced, only the damaged cartilage and bone ends. Knee replacement implants include a metal alloy on the end of the thighbone and polyethylene (plastic) on the top of the tibia and underneath the kneecap. The implant is designed to create a new, smoothly functioning joint that can prevent painful bone-on-bone contact. Your surgeon may elect to replace all or part of your knee, depending on your condition and the extent to which your knee is affected by arthritis. Sometimes knee arthritis only affects one side of the joint. In such cases, a unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) is done. This implant only replaces the affected side of the knee joint. Visit at medicalmovement.com for more infrmation.
Speaking of Days
March 2014 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
The Hot Shot
- A 'tsunami' of knee replacements predicted - Otago Daily TimesA 'tsunami' of knee replacements predictedOtago Daily TimesNew Zealand faces a ''tsunami of knee replacements'' in the coming years, placing even more pressure on health services, a Dunedin academic says. Consultant orthopaedic surgeon David Gwynne-Jones, Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the ...
- Will You Need Knee Replacement? Maybe Your Hand Can Tell You - Health.comWill You Need Knee Replacement? Maybe Your Hand Can Tell YouHealth.comFRIDAY, March 7, 2014 (HealthDay News) — The closer in length your ring and index fingers are, the greater your risk of developing severe knee osteoarthritis that requires total knee replacement, a new study claims. Researchers examined the hands of ...and more »
- Data Shows National "Norms" for Timing of Hip and Knee Replacements - DigitalJournal.comData Shows National "Norms" for Timing of Hip and Knee ReplacementsDigitalJournal.com"This is the first time we've been able to quantify the point at which most patients and surgeons together make the decision to proceed with a total knee or hip replacement," said David Ayers, MD, Chair of the Department of Orthopedics and Physical . […]
- Consumer Reports: Hip & knee replacement caution - KIMA CBS 29Consumer Reports: Hip & knee replacement cautionKIMA CBS 29younger people turn to joint replacements to stay active. If you're considering a hip or knee replacement, Consumer Reports has some important cautions. Though for many people the surgeries are a good option, there can be serious complications.
- Spider lessons: How to mend your body with silk - CNNSpider lessons: How to mend your body with silkCNNAs of 2010, over 600,000 total knee replacements are performed annually in the United States alone, and estimates suggest that this figure will increase 6-fold by 2030. This marks a $13 billion-per-year cost for Americans, which is set to rise as the ...and more »
- A 'tsunami' of knee replacements predicted - Otago Daily Times